Microcontroller simplifies EMV contactless payment terminals
23 November 2016
MAX32560 integrates security features and payment interfaces to meet latest PCI-PTS standards and reduce development time.
Manufacturers of mPOS terminals, ATM keyboards, EMV card readers, contact/contactless pin pads, and other mobile payment devices can now save PCB space and reduce the BOM, while bringing their products to market faster with the MAX32560 DeepCover secure microcontroller from Maxim Integrated Products.
Designers of mobile payment devices currently have to use multiple external ICs for memory expansion, contactless interface and amplifier, ISO7816 PHY, magnetic stripe interface, and battery switch functions. These extra components increase board space and certification time. With the new MAX32560 DeepCover secure ARM Cortex-M3 microcontroller, these functions have been integrated into a single chip, eliminating the need for up to six external chips.
The MAX32560 embeds all the security features required to address stringent PCI-PTS requirements, including active tamper protection, scrambling keypad for PIN handling, and a secure cryptographic engine. It integrates a number of analog interfaces to reduce the PCB footprint, including a full EMV contactless reader interface, two EMV smart card interfaces, a DSP-based high performance magnetic stripe reader, 2-channel ADC, and a DAC.
The MAX32560 offers 1MB of embedded flash memory, 384KB of SRAM, and 8KB of secure NVSRAM. The memory can be further expanded through external fast serial flash memories via a flexible QuadSPI controller with XiP, and can quickly read and decrypt code or data using an on-the-fly AES engine. For communication interfaces, the MAX32560 provides a USB device port, three SPI controllers, two UARTs, and two I²C controllers. It is available in a 9mm x 9mm BGA144 package and operates across the -40-degree Celsius to +85-degree Celsius temperature range.
• Secures Systems: Cloaks sensitive data under multiple layers of advanced physical security to provide the most secure key storage possible
• Saves Space and Time: Integrates multiple functions into one small chip, reducing PCB size and time to market, and simplifying the EMV and PCI-PTS certification processes
• Saves Power: Features a number of power saving modes to minimize power consumption and optimize battery life
Availability and pricing
• An evaluation kit is available: MAX32560-KIT#
• MAX32560-KIT# pricing starts at $1,500
• MAX32560 pricing starts at $9.41 (1,000-up, FOB USA)
• More information: http://bit.ly/MAX32560
Contact Details and Archive...