Maximising productivity for Industry 4.0 applications
04 October 2016
Maxim Integrated Products’ Pocket IO PLC development platform can help to achieve small form factor and high power efficiency for PLC designs.
Lost productivity is a common concern for Industry 4.0 designers challenged with keeping a manufacturing line running 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Without intelligent data available at their fingertips, factory operators do not have the insight to make informed, real-time decisions which can significantly improve uptime, revenue, and gross margins. In addition to capturing real-time data, PLCs require fan-less operation due to harsh industrial environments. As a result, highly efficient power solutions are required to minimise heat dissipation.
Maxim’s Pocket IO PLC development platform helps to enable Industry 4.0 applications. To maximise productivity, it provides real-time intelligence to quickly and effectively make decisions, adaptive manufacturing to avoid potential downtime, and distributed control to provide redundancy. The Pocket IO provides the following key advantages to increase productivity:
• Real-time intelligence: Fast data processing provides the necessary data to make intelligent decisions quickly and effectively to optimise yield.
• Adaptive manufacturing: Manufacturing flexibility allows for real-time changes and adjustments to avoid potential downtime.
• Distributed control: Ultra-small footprint of less than 10 cubic inches and smart energy consumption brings PLC down to the manufacturing line, re-distributing intelligent control and providing redundancy.
When compared to the Micro PLC Platform from two years ago, the Pocket IO decreases form factor by an additional 2.5x and reduces power consumption by another 30%. Utilising patent-pending, fast, and safe demagnetisation clamps integrated within the MAX14913 octal high-side switch and driver, it achieves 15x space savings by eliminating 16 diodes from its previous solution. In addition, the MAX17681 iso-buck DC-DC converter provides greater than 90% power efficiency when compared to its predecessor—a reduction of power dissipation of over 30%. The MAX31913 octal, digital input translator/serialiser can be powered off of any available 5V supply while still accepting input signals up to 36V, eliminating all protection components needed on the 24V supply pin and thus reducing total footprint by 50%.
“We leveraged Maxim’s strong IP portfolio and long history specialising in analogue integration to create this new pathway to Industry 4.0,” said Jeff DeAngelis, Managing Director of Business Management at Maxim Integrated. “The Pocket IO is a development platform for designers and it demonstrates our complete industrial communications and power capabilities, including our robust IO-Link smart sensor technology.”
“Industry 4.0 is no longer a ‘future trend’–for many companies it is now at the heart of their strategic and research agenda,” said Price Waterhouse Coopers (PwC) in a recent report. “In fact, 35% of companies adopting Industry 4.0 expect revenue gains over 20% over the next five years.”
Pricing and Availability
• The MAXREFDES150# Pocket IO PLC reference design is $499, which includes the attach board, IO-link protocol stack, cables, and power supply. The schematics, layout files, and firmware are free and available for immediate use.
• The Pocket IO consists of 30 IOs, including analogue input, analogue output, digital input, digital output, IO-link, and motion control featuring robust functionality and diagnostic capabilities. For a list of key products within the Pocket IO, visit http://bit.ly/Maxim_Pocket_IO_Key_Products.
• For information on other reference designs, visit: http://bit.ly/ReferenceDesigns
• For more information about the Pocket IO, visit: http://bit.ly/Maxim_Pocket_IO
• Download a hi-res image: http://bit.ly/Maxim_Pocket_IO_Image
• Watch a video of the Pocket IO: http://bit.ly/Maxim_Video_Pocket_IO
Visit Maxim at electronica 2016 in Munich, Germany from November 8-11, 2016 to see the Pocket IO PLC development platform and other Industry 4.0 solutions. Maxim will be located in Hall A4, Stand 279. For more information, visit http://bit.ly/Maxim_electronica_2016.
Contact Details and Archive...