Battery management solution for wearables and IoT products
06 October 2015
Texas Instruments introduces a battery management solution with a low quiescent current at 700-nA with the buck converter operating at 1.8V.
The bq25120 features a linear charger, configurable LDO, load switch, buck converter, pushbutton control and battery voltage monitor all in one. The solution supports batteries from 3.6 to 4.65-V, and fast charge currents from 5 to 300-mA, allowing wearables and industrial Internet of Things (IoT) applications to always be on without draining the battery.
Features and benefits:
• Lowest quiescent current at 700-nA: The bq25120 maintains an always-on 1.8-V operation using power path technology and a low Iq buck converter. A host microprocessor, such as a TI host microprocessor or Bluetooth radio, such as TI’s SimpleLink Bluetooth Smart CC2640 wireless MCU, is able to continue running during recharging by not extracting “empty energy.” Designers can also achieve the longest battery shelf life as the solution features standby mode quiescent current of 50-nA.
• High integration: A configurable load switch/LDO output optimises the system by shutting off rarely used functions such as radios and displays to minimise battery drain. The solution also includes an integrated battery voltage monitor, enabling a state of charge indicator, buck converter and pushbutton control features.
• Small battery management solution: The solution’s 2.5 by 2.5-mm WCSP package enables a small footprint making it easier for designers to integrate it into sleek wearable designs. For an even more robust solution, designers can incorporate the CC2640 wireless MCU.
• Accurate charge termination down to 500-µA: This feature maximises the energy delivered to the battery before completing the charging cycle, allowing batteries to draw a more robust full charge.
• Customer flexibility: The bq25120’s I2C programming interface gives designers the ability to set key parameters including battery charger voltage, current, termination threshold, input current limit, load switch control, flexible timer and reset options and more.
The bq25120 can be used in conjunction with devices to integrate more end application features. Ultra-low Iq step-down converter, the TPS62743 can be used for additional buck output. Boost converters can also be used for display integration. The TPS61046 offers a 12V boost and the TPS61240 with load connect, offers a 5-V boost for heart rate monitor or small displays.
Tools and support
The bq25120 evaluation module (EVM) allows customers to speed time to market by quickly and easily evaluate device features and performance. The BQ25120EVM-731 is available from the TI store and authorised distributors for US $99.
Availability and pricing
The bq25120 charger is shipping in volume production and available through the TI Store and the company’s authorised distribution network. The product comes in a 2.5-mm by 2.5-mm, WCSP package. The bq25120 is priced at US$1.60 in 1,000-unit quantities.
Contact Details and Archive...